Corona Vaccine

FDA authorizes J&J 1-dose COVID vaccine

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) today issued an emergency use authorization (EUA) for the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine, giving the United States a third vaccine to fight the pandemic—one that offers an easier, one-dose option. The formal announcement follows yesterday’s unanimous recommendation from the FDA’s outside advisory panel, the Vaccines and Related Biological …

FDA authorizes J&J 1-dose COVID vaccine Read More »

Plunging demand for COVID-19 tests may leave U.S. exposed

Just five weeks ago, Los Angeles County was conducting more than 350,000 weekly coronavirus tests, including at a massive drive-thru site at Dodger Stadium, as health workers raced to contain the worst COVID-19 hotspot in the U.S. Now, county officials say testing has nearly collapsed. More than 180 government-supported sites are operating at only a …

Plunging demand for COVID-19 tests may leave U.S. exposed Read More »

J&J’s 1-dose shot cleared, giving U.S. third COVID-19 vaccine

The U.S. is getting a third vaccine to prevent COVID-19, as the Food and Drug Administration on Saturday cleared a Johnson & Johnson shot that works with just one dose instead of two. Health experts are anxiously awaiting a one-and-done option to help speed vaccinations, as they race against a virus that already has killed …

J&J’s 1-dose shot cleared, giving U.S. third COVID-19 vaccine Read More »

Data Points: Dental visits during the pandemic

About 48% of dentists recently surveyed by the American Dental Association reported patient volumes significantly below—less than 85%—what was typical pre-pandemic. As regular treatment is delayed, there are concerns that emergency departments may see an increase in visits for nontraumatic dental care. Source link

Rethinking quality and safety in the age of COVID

Early in the pandemic, CMS suspended quality reporting during the first two quarters of 2020. That will create a gap in data that would normally be available to assess trends in the industry and to spur process improvements. CMS “is committed to supporting clinicians during this unprecedented pandemic so they can focus on what’s most …

Rethinking quality and safety in the age of COVID Read More »

Nurse practitioner with not-for-profit clinic in Detroit church expands to COVID-19 vaccines

“They know we’re in a very impoverished area,” Lorie Turner said. “It used to be a thriving neighborhood …” The Turners said that around 70 percent of those getting vaccinated at the clinic’s event are Detroit residents. The other 30 percent are Turner’s patients or their family members, such as older Black suburban residents who …

Nurse practitioner with not-for-profit clinic in Detroit church expands to COVID-19 vaccines Read More »

Providers weigh long-term risks, rewards of post-COVID collaboration

While the pandemic may justify collaboration among competitors like it has in New Mexico and Iowa, it won’t ease collusion provisions, regulators said. The Justice Department and Federal Trade Commission issued a joint statement last March that the antitrust laws allow many types of collaboration. Partnering on research and development, sharing of know-how and most …

Providers weigh long-term risks, rewards of post-COVID collaboration Read More »

FDA panel recommends J&J COVID vaccine for emergency use

Food and Drug Administration (FDA) vaccine advisors today recommended that the agency grant emergency use authorization (EUA) for Johnson & Johnson’s COVID-19 vaccine, which brings the nation one step closer to having a third COVID-19 vaccine. The Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee (VRBPAC) was asked to consider if the benefits outweigh the risks …

FDA panel recommends J&J COVID vaccine for emergency use Read More »